Tobacco Import/Wholesale Licences
Attention is drawn to the provisions of the Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act ('the Act') and the Regulations made under it. Licensees are reminded that they must comply with the obligations set out therein in addition to the conditions specified in the licence. Upon conviction for non-compliance offenders can be punished with imprisonment and/or fine. Offenders may also have their licences suspended or revoked.
Please refer to the Highlights of Legislative Requirements for Tobacco Products for more information.
Advertisements Relating To Tobacco Products
Advertisements relating to tobacco products and imitation tobacco products are prohibited.
Guidelines to Application for Tobacco Importers/Wholesalers
To apply for a Tobacco Wholesale Licence, please access prism@hsa.
For further enquiries, please contact the licensing officers at Tel: 6684 2031/ 2032 or Fax: 6684 1502
Licences and Fees
Find out what licence fees are payable.
All applicants are required to submit the documents listed below in English Language for our processing:
- Photocopy of NRIC of the applicant
- Photocopy of Business Registration Certificate
- Photocopy of tenancy agreement for warehouse
- Letter of authorization from manufacturer on the tobacco products to be imported (or Letter of authorization from importer for wholesaler)
- Tar and nicotine testing results
- GIRO Form
The company can authorise an employee in the company to apply the licence on its behalf. A letter of authorisation is required from the Director, Sole Proprietor, Partner or Manager (known as the orginator) if the applicant is neither of these four designations. A template of the letter of authorisation is available for reference.
Licensee shall inform the Authority on any changes in the particulars pertaining to their licence not later than 3 days after the changes have been effected.
Terms & Conditions
- The licensee is only allowed to store his stocks of tobacco products at the premises specified in the licence. The licensee is required to furnish the Authority documentary proof showing legal right of the licensee to storage use of such premises. The Authority may revoke this licence in the absence of such proof for the duration of this licence.
- An application for renewal of the licence shall be submitted to the Authority at least 5 working days, before the licence expires.(Note : The renewal of a licence will only take effect after the required fees have been paid to and received by the Authority.)
- The licensee shall be responsible for and shall ensure that all activities and transactions carried out at the premises specified in the licence in relation to the licensed tobacco products.
- The licensee should not be convicted for any contraventions under any applicable laws or contravene any condition of this licence.
- In the event the Authority receives information supported by certification from a medical practitioner of a disability impairing the licensee's cognitive abilities for the purposes of complying with this term, the Authority may suspend or revoke the licence on the basis that he is unfit and improper to hold the licence.
- The licensee must inform the Authority in writing of any additional variant of tobacco product(s) and additional tobacco product(s) [that has not been notified to the Authority as part of the licence register] which the licensee intends to import for sale in Singapore, at least 14 days prior to import, and must provide the Authority with samples of the additional variant of tobacco product(s) and additional tobacco product(s) upon request.
Attention is drawn to the provisions of the Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act (“the Act”), including the various Regulations made under the Act.Licensees are reminded that they must comply with all the requirements and obligations set out in the Act and the Regulations in addition to the terms and conditions of this licence. In the event the Authority finds that the licensee has contravened the Act or the Regulations or any of the terms and conditions of the licence, the Authority may suspend or revoke the licence ( without prejudice to any other action against the licensee that may be provided under the law).
For more information on the Act and Regulations, please refer to here.
Copies of the above legislation are available for purchase from Toppan Leefung Pte. Ltd., Legal Publishing, 1 Kim Seng Promenade #18-01/06, Great World City East Tower, Singapore 237994, Tel: 6826 9691, Website:http://www2.toppanleefung.com/webshop/