Criteria for Application and Responsibility of Licensee
1. Applicants must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) or licensed by the National Environment Agency (NEA) to retail food and beverages. However, retail of tobacco products is not allowed at makeshift or temporary stalls;
2. Applicants must be above the age of 18 years;
3. Applicants must not have previously committed any offence for selling tobacco products to minor (persons under 18 years of age);
4. Applicants must be able to supervise the sale of tobacco products and verify the age of buyers;
5. Applicants must ensure that the tobacco retail licence will not be located in any of the following premises:
i) Hospitals, Medical Clinics, Pharmacies, Chinese Medical Halls, Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinics;
ii) Gaming Arcades; or
iii) Youth-centric institutions under Ministry of Education (MOE) or Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) such as Child Care Centres, Pre-schools, Kindergartens, Rehabilitative Homes, Schools, Institute of Technical Education (ITEs), Polytechnics, Universities.
6. Paragraphs 1 to 5 apply to an applicant that is not an individual as if the references in these paragraphs refer to the applicant and every director and similar officer of the applicant.
For an ACRA registered company, the company can authorise an employee in the company to apply the licence on its behalf. A letter of authorisation is required from the Director, Sole Proprietor, Partner or Manager (known as the originator) if the applicant is neither of these four designations. A template of the letter of authorisation is available for reference.
Responsibility of Licensee
The Licensee is responsible for all transactions of tobacco products carried out at his retail outlet and is also responsible for the actions of his employees. The licence of the retail outlet will be revoked or suspended in the event of a sale of tobacco products at the retail outlet to a person below 18 years of age.