Guidance on the Import of Hand Sanitisers, Masks, Thermometers and Protective Gear
Hand sanitisers do NOT need approval from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) before they are brought into Singapore for sale. To obtain more information on the established active ingredients and labelling of products such as hygienic hand rubs or sanitisers, please click here.
Masks, Thermometers and Protective Gear for Medical Professionals
There has been a surge in demand for certain medical devices during this COVID-19 period. To facilitate the import to meet the increase in local demand, since 31 Jan 2020, importers of the following medical devices do not require an importer's licence from HSA:
- Surgical masks;
- Particulate respirators e.g. N95 masks;
- Thermometers for measuring human body temperature; and
- Any protective gear for medical professionals e.g. isolation gowns and gloves
(1) Import for Commercial and/or other purposes (not for personal use):
If you are importing these medical devices for commercial or other purposes (e.g. workplace use, donation), please submit a notification to HSA using the form in the URL below:
Importers can use the template provided below to maintain their sales or distribution records. Where necessary (e.g. recall of certain brands of thermometers), HSA may require these records to be submitted for our review.
2020 Distribution records template15 KB
These measures are to minimise the risk of sub-standard products being brought into Singapore.
(2) Import for Personal Use (for use by an individual and/or family members):
If you are importing the following medical devices for personal use in quantities within the limits indicated below, you do not need to submit any notification to HSA:
- Surgical masks: 3 boxes (3 x 50 pieces) per person
- Particulate Respirators: 3 boxes (3 x 20 pieces) per person
- Thermometers: 2 units per person
If the imported quantity exceeds the above limits, please submit a notification to HSA using the form in the URL below: