Overview of pharmacy licence for a retail pharmacy

Understand the regulatory requirements before you apply for a licence for a retail pharmacy in Singapore.


Under the Health Products (Licensing of Retail Pharmacies) Regulations 2016, a retail pharmacy must be licensed by HSA to supply by retail the following specified health products:

  • Therapeutic products classified as Prescription-only medicines (POM) or Pharmacy-only medicines (P).
  • Oral Dental Gums.

The licensed retail pharmacy must be under the control and management of a pharmacist in-charge (PIC) named in the pharmacy licence who meets the following criteria:

  • Is a qualified pharmacist registered with the Singapore Pharmacy Council.
  • Holds a valid practising certificate.
  • Is in active practice.

Supply of therapeutic products by a licensed retail pharmacy

A licensed retail pharmacy can supply therapeutic products by wholesale without a wholesaler’s licence under the following circumstances:

  • For supply to a licensed healthcare institution.
  • For use on a ship in accordance with the Merchant Shipping (Medical Stores) Regulations (Cap. 179, Rg 3), the Merchant Shipping (Maritime Labour Convention) (Medicines and Medical Equipment) Regulations 2014 (G.N. No. S 181/2014).
  • For use on an aircraft in accordance with the Air Navigation Order (Cap. 6, O 2).
  • For supply to a company for the purpose of scientific education or research and development, or for a non-clinical purpose.
  • For supply to a government department or statutory board for the provision of public services.
  • For supply between licensed retail pharmacy outlets under the same management chain.
  • For supply of registered therapeutic products to companies outside Singapore for business or trade carried out by those companies.

You do not need a Form A Poisons Licence (FAPL) to deal in therapeutic products. However, you will need to apply for FAPL if you are dealing with other products containing poisons such as active pharmaceutical ingredients, laboratory reagents and veterinary products etc.

Licensed retail pharmacies and wholesalers can supply therapeutic products for animal use based on valid veterinary prescriptions or signed purchase orders from the following:

  • Veterinarians, veterinary clinics, feedmills or farms licensed by the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) of NParks.
  • AVS-registered wholesalers supplying therapeutic products solely for veterinary use.

For more information or enquiries relating to veterinary products (products for animal use only), please consult the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS)' of NParks .