ASEAN Cosmetic Directive
Cosmetic product dealers in Singapore must comply with the cosmetic products regulation, which is in line with the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive.
What is the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive
The ASEAN Cosmetic Directive (ACD) is an agreement among ASEAN countries to harmonise requirements of cosmetic products so as to reduce technical barriers to trade in the region. The ACD was implemented in Singapore from 1 January 2008.
- Definition and examples of cosmetic products
- Prohibited, restricted and permitted ingredients (Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive) (Updated July 2019)
- Annex II Part 1: List of substances which must not form part of the composition of cosmetic products
- Annex III Part 1: List of substances which cosmetic products must not contain except subject to restrictions and conditions laid down
- Annex IV Part I: List of colouring agents allowed for use in cosmetic products
- Annex VI: List of preservatives allowed
- Annex VII: List of permitted UV filters which cosmetic products may contain
- Labelling requirements
- Good manufacturing practices
- Safety assessment
- Adverse event reporting
- Limits of contaminants
Updates to ACD annexes
The ASEAN Cosmetic Committee (ACC) and ASEAN Cosmetic Scientific Body (ACSB) meets twice a year to discuss regulations and harmonisation across the region to reduce technical trade barriers. This includes amendments to the ACD annexes.
As part of our continuing efforts to keep the industry abreast of these amendments, the summary of the amendments are made available below, including the respective grace periods for implementation.
Please be reminded that dealers of cosmetic products have the legal responsibility to ensure the safety of the cosmetic products and compliance with other legal requirements which include product labelling and the prohibition and restriction of the use of certain ingredients. Check regularly to keep abreast on the updates to the ACD annexes to ensure that the cosmetic products that you are supplying comply with the regulatory requirements.
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 26th ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (May 2017)
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 27th ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (Nov 2017)
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 28th ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (May 2018)
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 29th ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (Oct 2018)
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 30th ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (Jun 2019)
- Updates to the Annexes of the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive adopted at the 31st ASEAN Cosmetic Committee Meeting (Dec 2019)