Check if you are eligible to donate blood before you make an appointment.
General eligibility criteria
To donate blood, you must:
- Be in general good health.
- Not have had any symptoms of infection e.g. sore throat, cough, runny nose or diarrhoea for at least 1 week.
- Not have had a fever in the last 3 weeks.
- Not have taken medication, herbal supplements or traditional herbal remedies for at least 3 days. If you have taken antibiotics, wait at least 1 week.
- Weigh at least 45 kg.
- Have a haemoglobin level of at least 13.0 g/dl for males and 12.5 g/dl for females.
It may be harmful to you or the recipients if you donate blood when you are not eligible to do so.
Check the A–Z list