Analytical Toxicology Laboratory
Our Analytical Toxicology Laboratory analyses biological fluids for drugs of abuse, pharmaceutical drugs, and common poisons, through the work of our two units: the Clinical & Forensic Toxicology Unit and the Drug Abuse Testing Unit.
Our laboratory has achieved accreditation status since 1996, and is currently accredited under the ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB) Forensic Science Testing programme.
We are also equipped with advanced analytical instrumentations and use robust testing methods to serve the administration of justice. We conduct ongoing research and development to keep up with changing drug trends.
Clinical & Forensic Toxicology
Scope of services
Our Clinical & Forensic Toxicology unit offers drugs and poisons analysis in biological specimens and exhibits. We provide the following toxicological analysis:
- Clinical (or ante-mortem) toxicology, including emergency toxicology – To help in the diagnosis and management of suspected drug overdose
- Postmortem toxicology – To exclude or ascertain poisoning or drug overdose as a cause of death
- Forensic toxicology – To determine alcohol and/or drug involvement in intoxication, suspected driving under the influence (DUI) and drug-facilitated crimes (e.g. rape, theft)
- Therapeutic drug monitoring (e.g. clozapine, levetiracetam, flecainide)
- Drug screening prior to brain-death certification
- Drugs and poisons screening in forensic exhibits – To help establish if the exhibits could be linked to the poisoning/crime/death
- Occupational biological monitoring – To ensure workers are not exposed to unhealthy amounts of cyanide or toluene in the work environment
Submit samples for testing
Hospitals and clinics can submit samples to the Analytical Toxicology Laboratory for
Drug Abuse Testing
Our Drug Abuse Testing unit analyses urine and hair specimens for the presence of controlled drugs. Our work supports the Misuse of Drugs Act. The panel of drugs tested include:
- Cocaine (urine only)
- New psychoactive substances and others (urine only)